Same job, different uniform.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

girlfriday: the courtesy of this return phone call does not, apparently, warrent your courtesy

When someone calls our company and leaves a voicemail, I get an email notification.

Somebody named Joe called. After the beep, he stayed on the phone for half a second, then hung up. Twice.

What if he meant potential business? I was in the mood to help. I called him back.

Me: Hi is this Joe?

Joe: Yes.

Me: This is Kate from Where I work. Were you trying to get a hold of us?

Joe: Oh, I guess you're not really interested in getting my business. You don't answer your phone.

Me: Well, we're not always at our phone, but how can I help you now?

Joe: You're not really that serious. I guess you're not really "the best" as your name implies.

Me: [Almost hang up.]Are you going to be rude or do you want me to help you?

Joe: There's this such-and-such I'm interested in.

Me: Okay, tell me about it.

[Some back and forth.]

Joe: You don't know immediately, and off the top of your head what I'm talking about? [paraphrase]

Me: No, I don't. There are thousands of things like the one you're talking about and we can't keep track of them all.

Joe: I was led to believe otherwise. I thought you would know everything, and at once.[paraphrase]

Me: Are you for real? [Inside voice.]

Joe: Well, maybe I'll have another look. Bye.

Labels:


SHARE THIS: Facebook | Stumble It! | Del.icio.us | DiggIt! | Technorati

4 Comments:

Blogger Lois E. Lane said...




Are you kidding me? Where do these people come from?!?!

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

 
Blogger girlfriday said...




No.

1. I would have thought my returning a call where you didn't leave a message was an indication of our seriousness.

2. On your planet, do companies keep track of available inventory in their head or does it take a couple of minutes to find what you need, when you ask?

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

 
Blogger "Molly McGee" said...




I hope you really said "are you for real?" that's awesome.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

 
Blogger elphaba said...




It sounds like Joe has some anger and bitterness issues. Might he be the best chum of our flight attendant from Minneapolis to Dallas? Will post blog about said flight attendant when I can find my way out from under pile of laundry. Way to hold it together, girlfriday.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home