Same job, different uniform.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

girlfriday: it turns out both ends of the lollipop are fuzzy*

Ms. Lane has a heartbreaking post about the death of her Inbox. An Inbox that didn't die alone but took the Sent Folder with it. The. Sent. Folder. I'm developing hives.

But don't try cheering up your bosses with, "Hey, it could be worse. You coulda lost all your email" when it's you who is hanging out to dry.

Among the many thankless duties I perform as an assistant, IT manager is one of them. It just worked out that way. I know more than everyone else so I am in charge of IT. That was fine with me, and I grew with the job.

I can't say it was a mistake, but I should have known that when things went sideways, I'd be the scapegoat.

The story: There is a lot of spam. You might have noticed. I heard about the volume of spam from one of my bosses. A lot. After some consulting with the web administer at the company hosting our email, I decided to make the switch to Google.

Google Apps. It's a beautiful thing.

But it's not perfect. And neither am I. We own a dozens of domain names and a number of them are aliases for our primary domain (lost you?). I mistakenly transferred the primary domain first rather than the alias which we use for ALL of our email.

Bottom line: For 24 hours, clients got reject notices whenever they tried to email us.

That was the bad news. The good news was no more spam. None. Those blasted spammers were foiled by the powerful filters the geniuses at Google designed.

It's been a dark few days as I've tried to troubleshoot these and other issues. I can't count the number of thank-yous I've gotten for trying to solve the spam problem, or trying to find an innovative solution to email hosting. That's because I didn't get any.

It's bleak here in IT admin land.
But Lois knows that it's not always better on the other side.

*Remember when Sugar says she's always getting the "fuzzy end of the lollipop" in Some Like it Hot?

Labels: ,


SHARE THIS: Facebook | Stumble It! | Del.icio.us | DiggIt! | Technorati

1 Comments:

Blogger Lois E. Lane said...




Poor girlfriday :( That stinks! Coincidentally, our tech guy was also trying to get rid of spam by switching servers. But unlike your co-workers, I thanked our tech guy all the same even in the face of losing all those e-mails. Man, am I gracious...and humble :)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home