Same job, different uniform.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

And the Nominees Are...

PICTURE
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck."
"Munich"

ACTOR
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"
David Strathairn,"Good Night, and Good Luck"

ACTRESS
Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Charlize Theron, "North Country"
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
George Clooney, "Syriana"
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"
Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"
William Hurt, "A History of Violence"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, "Junebug"
Catherine Keener, "Capote"
Frances McDormand, "North Country"
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain"

DIRECTOR
George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Paul Haggis. "Crash"
Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"
Bennet Miller, "Capote"
Steven Spielberg, "Munich"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck."
"Match Point"
"The Squid and the Whale"
"Syriana"

ANIMATED FEATURE
"Howl's Moving Castle"
"Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"
"Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit"

CINEMATOGRAPHY
"Batman Begins"
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Good Night, and Good Luck."
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"The New World"

ORIGINAL SCORE
"Brokeback Mountain" Gustavo Santaolalla
"The Constant Gardener" Alberto Iglesias
"Memoirs of a Geisha" John Williams
"Munich" John Williams
"Pride & Prejudice" Dario Marianelli

Read the article and full list here.

Postscript: The Academy has discredited itself on many occasions over the years (Titanic? Really?). This year it does it by placing Keira Knightly within two continents of Judi Dench.


SHARE THIS: Facebook | And the Nominees Are... " target="_blank">Stumble It! | And the Nominees Are... " target="_blank">Del.icio.us | And the Nominees Are... " target="_blank">DiggIt! | And the Nominees Are... " target="_blank">Technorati

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...




Kiera Knightley. That name jumped off the list, for sure.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 
Blogger Ibid said...




I find it mildly amusing that I, a former arts and culture editor (pretend or no) am getting pretty much all my pop culture info anymore from various blogs. Either this is a legit form of media or I am (as I suspect) just too lazy to care anymore.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...




I have come to the conclusion that I genially dislike the whole film industry. This doesn't mean that I don't like movies; I do like them. What I dislike, however, is the pretentiousness and cupidity of the Industry as a whole.

I find it incomprehensible that Oliver Stone continues to work. I am troubled that Roman Polanski is a hero of sorts, given his history with young girls. I find it difficult to fathom that a mental lightweight like George Clooney would be asked questions about anything more complicated than the brand of condom he likes best. And I am still looking to discover what in Hell a Kiera Knightley is, and how one ought to go about getting rid of it.

On the other hand, I ran across a perfectly charming little movie the other day called The Wedding Date. It has Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney, and the writing is really quite good. Several lines jump at you, and a few of them are cultural keepers.

Monday, February 06, 2006

 
Blogger girlfriday said...




You had me at conclusionbut you lost me at Wedding Date.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...




Fair enough. I don't like Joe vs the Volcano, which ought to throw your cute self into a conniption. It all works out.

On the other hand (yes, I have a lot of hands)....I saw another movie movie the other night that I thought was fun...Must Love Dogs. It has Diane Lane, John Cuzack and assortment of other lunatics ranging from Christopher Plummer to Elizabeth Perkins and including an unapologetically aging Stockard Channing.

Worth seeing once...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 
Blogger girlfriday said...




Well that's me told.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home